Inmate records are available for public viewing in most states. You can approach the relevant government structure that keeps these records and ask to see the record that you are interested in. What you will get in this case is exactly that and nothing more. If the person has any prior convictions and in different states you will not be able to know.
If you want more intricate details concerning the case you would have to access court case records, police records, etc. The fee based sites will be able to give you all this information from just the one search. A free inmate record search will give you only a slice of the information that you want. Check out one or two fee based sites you will be surprised how inexpensive they are.